Monday, January 22, 2007

Back From NC Science Blogging Conference

The North Carolina Science Blogging Conference turned out to be a much needed opportunity for physically meeting a lot of the people that have only interacted online. Most notably, I finally got to meet Bill Hooker, author of Open Reading Frame and a strong supporter of the open science movement. We discussed concrete ways of collaborating and I look forward to continuing the discussion online.

Based on the discussion during my Open Source/Open Notebook Science session, there appeared to be significant interest in ways of doing science more openly and of understanding the consequences of doing so. The typical issues came up: intellectual property, recognition, archiving and getting scooped. I had planned on updating a wiki page with ideas generated from the session in a way that Dave Warlick had done at PodcasterCon last year. However, I found that there was not enough time to do that and engage in the discussion. Next time I'll try asking someone to take notes, like Dave did.

My presentation was recorded and is available here.

Technorati tag:

2 Comments:

At 4:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not sure if my notes are detailed enough, but you're welcome to copy them and use them as a starting point. They're on my blog at: http://christinaslibraryrant.blogspot.com/2007/01/science-blogging-conference-post-3.html

Thanks for the great presentation. I think it's really important to understand the disciplinary differences in doing open science... everyone probably can do it but there are probably different things you do in evolutionary biology than in astro, I'm guessing.

 
At 3:24 AM, Blogger Jean-Claude Bradley said...

Thanks Christina - I linked them from the screencast post.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons Attribution Share-Alike 2.5 License