Monday, November 27, 2006

3QuarksDaily Series on Open Science

Bill Hooker just posted his second installment on Open Science.
In Part 1 of this essay, I gave an outline of the scholarly publishing practice/philosophy known as Open Access; here I want to examine ways in which the central concept of OA, the "open" part, is being expanded to encompass all of science.

It is a pretty thorough analysis of the various forms that openness can take in science. How nice that ONS is his favorite :)
My personal favourite (term and practice) is Open Notebook Science, but this seems better suited to being the name of the most open subset of Open Science practices since, as with Open Access, it is likely that a range of applications will co-exist and co-evolve.

His next post should also be of great interest:
...there will now be a third instalment. In that piece I will try to show what Open Science looks like now, in its infancy, and to sketch some of the directions in which it might grow.

3 Comments:

At 12:15 PM, Blogger Bill Hooker said...

Thanks for the link! ONS is indeed my favorite, and my personal intention. I can't work Openly on any of my current projects because of colleagues' objections (*sigh*), but I have one tiny side-project that I can blog (soon!) and should find out this week whether I have money to start my own project. If I get the money, the new project won't be entirely free but I can at least open it up somewhat.

 
At 11:30 AM, Blogger Jean-Claude Bradley said...

Yes, trying to take an existing collaboration to a completely open format would be problematic. Hopefully you get your funding!

 
At 9:53 PM, Blogger Beth Ritter-Guth said...

Thanks for the link, Jean-Claude. I will add this to my research. Bill's information is excellent!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons Attribution Share-Alike 2.5 License